Curly hair is not always easy to manage. Whether it's frizz, unmanageable curls, or just finding the right products, figuring out how to show off your curly hair can seem like an overwhelming task. But don't worry: there are simple steps that will make managing your curly hair much easier! Hair plopping is a technique that helps tame and define those hard-to-manage curls while keeping your locks moist.
In this blog post, we'll show you why plopping is so beneficial for curly hair and give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it yourself. So, let's start...
What is plopping?
Plopping is often considered an ancient and natural hair care technique. This involves wrapping your wet hair in a cotton t-shirt or microfiber towel to let it dry naturally . The goal is to reduce frizz and retain moisture in the hair during drying, so curls remain intact and defined after styling. Many people find this an easier way to dry their curly hair, as there's no need to use a hair dryer to heat damage it, and you don't have to use styling products. If you're looking for a more effective way to manage your curly hair without compromising its health, plopping might be the answer!
- Hair plopping is a simple method of curing curly hair by wrapping wet hair in a soft cloth while drying. It can help achieve more defined, more hydrated and healthier curls with just styling products, a soft fabric and a little patience.
Why the plopping?
Plopping helps encourage your curls to dry properly. Easy to do, this gentle technique for your curls has many advantages:
- Defining curls : Hair plopping helps define curls, keep them intact during drying and retain their bounce.
- Frizz reduction : With this technique, say goodbye to frizz and flyaways.
- Volume boost : Plowing loosens strands from the roots for fuller-than-usual hair. Your hair is also easier to comb.
- Breakage Prevention : With this technique, you reduce friction and harsh rubbing against your strands and scalp. Thus, you reduce the risk of breakage, loss and hair loss.
This styling technique avoids the use of styling tools and therefore avoids heat damage. The heat damages your hair and weakens the hair fiber which is then brittle and split. Hair plopping is therefore a way to dry your hair and define your curls without damaging your hair.
Which towel for plopping?
To carry out the plopping, two options are available to you. Indeed, you can choose to use an old cotton t-shirt or a towel. If you opt for a towel, ideally choose a microfiber towel . Much softer and more absorbent than a classic towel, the microfiber towel is ideal for curly hair. Plus, thanks to its tight fabric, a microfiber towel will be far less likely to cause friction and frizz than traditional towels, leaving your curls soft and bouncy.
- Discover the best towel for curly hair
How to carry out the plopping?
Plopping is a simple and effective way to style your hair without resorting to tons of heat or products. Here is the list of equipment you need to make your hair plopping:
- A microfiber towel or a cotton t-shirt. A soft fabric is necessary to wrap your hair for a few hours.
- A styling product of your choice: a hair care product adapted to your needs, a styling gel or a curling mousse. This product is used to define and hydrate your curls.
- Your usual shampoo and styling tools.
Step 1: Wash and dry your hair
Wash your hair as you normally do. If your curly hair is dehydrated, opt for a moisturizing shampoo that will help hydrate and therefore define your curls.
Then towel dry your hair with a microfiber towel . Do not rub vigorously at the risk of attacking your scalp. Mop up water stuck at the roots. Do not completely dry your hair, because it must remain damp.
Step 2: Apply styling product
Then, apply the styling product of your choice. The latter, specially formulated for curly hair, helps define and hydrate your strands to give your curls a beautiful shape. Lightly detangle your hair with your fingers or a wide tooth comb.
Step 3: Put on the fabric
For the hair plopping, place the cotton t-shirt or microfiber towel on a flat, wide surface. Then, lean your head over the soft fabric and be sure to place all of your curls inside this fabric.
Then fold the fabric over your head. To do this, start by folding the sides at the back of your skull, then wedge the front of the fabric at the back, under the sides folded down previously. Finally, roll the remaining sides of the towel to form two twists. Tie them with a rubber band so that it does not interfere with your sleep.
Step 4: Let your hair dry
Keep the cloth on your head until your hair dries completely. This can take a few hours so it is advisable to do the hair plopping before going to sleep and gently unroll the fabric the next morning. All you have to do is run your fingers through your hair to reveal defined and hydrated curls.
Hair plopping is an easy and effective way to define your hairstyle and keep your curls hydrated . It doesn't require any special tools or products, just a microfiber towel or t-shirt, a few products you already have at home, and a few simple steps. Not only will plopping give you better looking curls, it will also save you time.